Monday, March 24, 2014

NEW WOLFMOTHER TO ROCK YOUR FACE OFF!



After five years of silence I don't think anyone expected Wolfmother to release another album. Well that's just what they did and it rocks. It's hard to talk about Wolfmother without mentioning their obvious influences. Their music is very derivative of the classic rock and heavy metal of the 1960s and 1970s, but by calling their music derivative is not me calling the music bad, I find Wolfmother to be quite enjoyable, I just don't find it to be anything groundbreaking either. I've banged my head to tunes like "Woman" and "Joker and the Thief" proudly for the last seven or eight years.

The album announces itself with the boys updating the power trio blast of Cream on the opener, "How Many Times." The stereo mix on this track is fantastic as each of the three instruments are made distinct as they pound your skull with classic rock riffagery and screaming lead guitar. Its a great way to open an album of vintage hard rock 'n' roll.

"Enemy Is In Your Mind" is pure "Sabotage" era Black Sabbath, with Andrew Stockdale singing in his best Ozzy voice to great effect. I didn't think anyone would ever sound like the Prince of Darkness but alas I stand corrected. Nice work Andrew. The album's title track, "New Crown," is a good epic with the track morphing from standard riff rock into a Foghat "Slow Ride" groove complete with a nice fuzzed out guitar solo and some wonderfully funky mud bass thumping along at the bottom end. Very tasty.

"Feelings" is lo-fi garage rock that has Andrew Stockdale sounding like Jack White fronting the Buzzcocks. "I Ain't Got No" struts like AC/DC, while album closer "Radio" sounds like early nineties shoegaze filtered through the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.

I had a lot of fun listening to this one, but it does also feel a little samey on repeated listens, and it never really seems to transcend its influences, which makes it difficult to proclaim it a classic or even essential album. That being said, if you are like me and have a soft spot for seventies inspired hard rock guitar riffs then by all means pick up this album and enjoy. I'd rate it 3 1/2 burning coals.

Stream the whole album here:

http://wolfmother.bandcamp.com/album/new-crown

No comments:

Post a Comment